The Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum is located within the Old Erie Canal State Historic Park, 15 miles east of Syracuse and north of the village of Chittenango. The drydock at Chittenango Landing, on the enlarged Erie Canal, was built in 1855. There, craftsmen constructed and repaired the 96-foot long cargo boats which carried grain, lumber, coal, and the produce of the west to eastern markets. The museum tells of the construction of these boats and the workings of the restored drydocks, as well as some of the social history of the canal era.
The main feature of the Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum is an excavated three-bay drydock, with reconstructed miter and drop gates. Other features include excavated canal boat remains, model canal boats, a sunken canal boat which can be viewed when the water is clear, reconstructed woodworking and blacksmith shops and a sawmill, and the enlarged Erie Canal towpath which leads to a reconstructed aqueduct.
For more information on the Park, see the Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum web site.
|(click on the image below to see the full-size version)|
| The Interpretive Center at Chittenango
Landing Canal Boat Museum.
| The museum building alongside |
the enlarged Erie Canal.
| The museum building and drydocks.
| The drydocks at Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum.
|The Enlarged Erie Canal near Chittenango Landing Canal Boat Museum, looking east -- The old canal path is on the left; the footpath to the Museum is on the right.|| The Aqueduct west of the Chittenango Landing Canal Boat
Museum. The original wooden trough and canal path bridge of the aqueduct have
been replaced by concrete. For more pictures of the aqueduct, see the
Chittenango Creek Aqueduct page in the
Traces Section. |