Enlarged Erie Canal Lock No. 50 (also called Gere's Lock) is located at the eastern edge of the Town of Camillus, N.Y. near the intersection of Gerelock Road and Horan Road. It is approximately two miles east of the Nine Mile Creek Aqueduct and Camillus Erie Canal Park. The lock was a double-chamber lock, with the south (berme) chamber double-length on the east (foot) end. The width was 58 feet, and the lift was 7.965 feet to the west from the lower miter-sill. The length of the north chamber was 110 feet, and the south 220 feet, it having been lengthened in 1884-1885. To the right is a Real Photo postcard of the lock, dated approximately 1905-1910.
Lock No. 50 is currently on private property, and is in an incomplete state, many stones having been removed, including most of the top three courses -- probably used to fill the north chamber and overflow well. The lock has been partially cleared and investigated by staff and volunteers of Camillus Erie Canal Park, with studies continuing.
The pictures below were taken in October 2009 during a visit as part of the Fall Field Trip of the Canal Society of New York State.
|A Google Earth view of Lock 50. Note that much of the lock is buried.||Remains of the north chamber -- the western portion is entirely filled in, and only the top of the remaining portions (several courses have been removed) are visible.||On the central divider, looking east from the west end.|
|The east end of the south chamber, showing the gate recesses.||The east end of the south chamber. Note that several courses of stones have been removed on the western end (from which the photo was taken).||The midsection of the north wall of the south chamber.|
|Near the eastern end of the north wall of the south chamber. Note that several courses of stones of the western portion have been removed.||The eastern end of the central section, from the south chamber, looking northeast.||Gate recess, central section, south chamber, eastern end.||Quoin post (hinge) recess, central section, south chamber, western end.|
|The overflow well on the western end of the central divider. This well has been excavated, as has been the central drain culvert for the full length of the lock. Left: looking west ; Right: looking east.||Remains of the Lock No. 50 gates (foot end) at Camillus Erie Canal Park. Excavated from the mud by park volunteers, these are the bottom 7 feet of the gates, the top 7 feet having rotted away.||Closeup of the water intake valves at the bottom of the lock gates.|