The remains of the Lyons Aqueduct are located a short distance west of the center of the Village of Lyons. Built as part of the Enlarged Erie Canal in 1841, the aqueduct was 130 feet long, and crossed Ganargua Creek, just north of its confluence with the Clyde River and just west of current Lock No. 27 and the junction of the Canandaigua Outlet with the Clyde River. According to the "Table of Aqueducts" in "History of the Canal System of the State of New York" by Noble E. Whitford (1906) the aqueduct had 5 spans, but the mid 20th-century photo below seems to show 4 spans.
At present, all that remains of the Lyons aqueduct are the piers on the two shores. The western side is incorporated into a private garden, and the eastern side is part of a village park.
Below, along with a mid-20th-century photograph, are pictures of the remains of the Lyons Aqueduct taken in April 2007. Click on an image below to see the full-size version.
|Left: The Lyons Aqueduct after it was abandoned and before it was demolished -- taken in the 1940s or 1950s. (Picture courtesy of Allyn Perry)|
| The remains of the Lyons Aqueduct -- |
Left: the eastern end ; Right: the western end.